Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!  We had such a great holiday.  We went up to visit my parents in Peru NY this year.  On Wednesday afternoon, we went to my Mom's house for a late lunch/early dinner.  She made the most delicious meal.  I have only come to find out in the last few weeks that I love brussel sprouts.  She made a dish that was so good I couldn't stop eating it.  I will have to ask her for the recipe.  We talked and the boys had fun.  We were a little tired from the trip (even though its only 2 hours) but I love my mom and enjoy spending time with her.  She even let the boys open 1 of their Christmas presents early.  She got Jacob a really nice, warm winter coat and she got Nicholas another pair of jeans.  We discovered that Jake grew out of his coat and she offered to buy one but knew he couldn't wait until Christmas to wear it so she decided to give them each a present to open.  Nicholas has been tearing through his pants at an incredible rate.  Just last week he tore another pair in the knees.   Thankfully my mother got them things they really needed.  They will each have another one for Christmas morning even though I told her it wasn't necessary.  We left a few hours later and headed to my dad's house.  We had a lot of work to do to get ready for Thanksgiving.  Every year on the night before Thanksgiving we make my Dad's stuffing.  It is one of the few traditions we have but I love it.  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.  The boys were all too excited to help grind the ingredients, although we knew it wouldn't last long.  They each grinded for about a minute or so until they declared they were too tired.  We all took our turns and got it done.  It taste the same as it always has and is one of my 2 favorite dishes to enjoy at the dinner.  Michelle and I also baked the pies that night.  I had the idea a few weeks ago after I made mini quiche for a party, "Why not make mini pies for Thanksgiving?"  So we did.  We made Cherry, Apple and Pumpkin.  They weren't to hard and looked so stinkin' cute.  Bite size pies are way better than having to cut into 3 different pies and eating a whole slice right??  Even Chad (who I thought was not going to be happy about our new idea) said that this is how we have to make pies for now on.  We went to bed around 10pm knowing we had to get up early to get things going.  Chad stuffed the bird shortly after waking up and got it in the oven.  Then I made him go out on a run with me.  I enjoy running but I hate running alone.  He doesn't like it but was a good sport.  I ended up running 3 and 1/2 miles.  I should of just signed up for the turkey trot race earlier that morning.  I decided that I will definitely do that next year.  We hung around the house the rest of the day.  The boys helped my Dad hang Christmas lights, while the rest of us finished up the last minute details for dinner.  We sat down to eat around 4pm.  It was a delicious dinner.  It is nice to be around family too.  After dinner and clean up, we sat to watch "It's a Wonderful Life".  Apparently my dad used to torture my siblings and I by forcing us to watch this movie our whole childhood.  I admitted to my brother and sisters surprise that I had NEVER seen this movie before!!!  Not sure where I was when all this torture was happening but I seemed to have escaped it.  I absolutely LOVED it!!  I even went out and bought it today.  I plan to watch it again, maybe on Christmas Eve.  It will be a tradition in my home as well.  I have so much to be thankful for this year.  My family, especially my husband and two boys.  My life would be so boring and empty without them. My extended family.  My parents, siblings, in laws, nieces, nephews and so on.  The gospel in my life.  Knowing that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and what that means.  I am also truly thankful for answered prayers.  My father and step mother were in a terrible car accident just 3 weeks ago and what could have ended very badly, ended with just some scrapes and bruises.  Heavenly Father loves us and blesses us continuously.  For that I am thankful.  I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving:)                  

 Helping with the stuffing
 Watching Papa Rick do all the work
 Hanging Christmas lights
 Just about ready to sit and eat
 Looking at the lights after dark
 Silly faces while eating the pies

No comments:

Post a Comment